Monday, July 25, 2011

don't sweat it, it's $9

My weekend with Em was too short, but wonderful. We didn’t do a lot of touristy things, because we were more interested in catching up and staying cool (it was a whopping 104° here). Instead, I took her to my favorite spots and showed her a little of what it’s like to be a New Yorker.

We went to a lot of places I’ve mentioned before - Alice’s Tea Cup , 10-ft Single , the Union Square Market , Magnolia Bakery , Five Leaves – and a few you’ve probably heard of but I haven’t gushed over enough yet.

First, Anthropologie – Okay I have gushed over Anthropologie enough, if not on this blog than in my daily life, but I’ll never stop singing its praise because…. I found a $9 dress there this weekend!! No, I didn’t forget a zero. I really found a dress on sale for $9, and it used to be $130.

Second, Shake Shack – On Friday night, Em and I met our friend Jeff at Shake Shack . It’s a burger shack in Washington Square Park that you must, MUST visit next time you’re in New York. The burgers, Shack sauce, cheese fries and shakes are amazing. And Michelle Obama was just spotted at the new one in D.C., so you’ll be in good company.

Third, Momofuku Milk Bar – I’ve heard about the Milk Bar all summer, and I've been very intrigued (mainly because I like saying the name), but I hadn't tried it until this weekend. They serve only milk products – milk and cookies, milkshakes, yogurt and granola, etc. It was a little over priced for moderate portions, but completely worth it in this weather. I ordered lemon raspberry soft-serve ice cream and - with some speedy ice cream scarfing skills - managed to down it before the heat could.

I love Emie more than words can say. She knows me so well, and I can tell her anything. She likes to dream about things with me - like opening up a children's bookstore/bakery when we grow up or writing a book together. We've spent nights crying over boys in stairwells, hours in the car singing Beyonce and eaten countless meals at Mama's Boy and the Grit. In Athens we give sleepy hugs every morning when we first wake up and at night right before bed.

As wonderfully fun and colorful as those pictures look, my favorite part of the weekend was just snuggling up on the couch and talking to Em.

No comments:

Post a Comment