Tuesday, August 16, 2011

back where i belong

It's hard to believe a week ago I was sitting at my desk in New York. Now I'm snuggled on the couch with my roommates, and I couldn't be happier.

Last Wednesday Jonathan and I reunited after my last day of work. I left early, because I couldn't concentrate any longer once I knew he was in town. I rushed to the subway, impatiently fidgeted til my train arrived and hurried up the steps when I reached my stop. We talked on the phone, trying to find each other amidst crowds of people and finally - I saw him on the other side of the street.

I know I'm making this sound cheesy and suspenseful, but it was! I ran across (disregarding a green light and cars), hugged him tight and felt like my You've Got Mail simulation was complete.


After a wonderful day in New York (that included lots of non-Italian food and seeing Obama), we flew back down South. My mom greeted us at the airport with flowers for me and a tupperware of chocolate chip cookies for Jonathan... she knows us so well. Even though it was her birthday, she'd spent the whole day baking and preparing this welcome home spread for us!

Kate was almost as excited to see Jonathan as I was, and she shed tears guarding dozens more cookies from our brothers.


On Saturday night we ate dinner with our parents at Rathbun's and... saw Alison Krauss at the Fox from the 4th row! She was angelic. She plays and sings so effortlessly - I could have closed my eyes and listened to her forever.

With folk tunes in my head, I drove to Athens the next morning and I've been giddy ever since. I know I sound like the girl in this video, but I love my house, my roommates, my classes, my Athens, and my real life. I'm so happy to be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment