Tuesday, June 14, 2011

my daily commute

Well, so much for promising to blog all the time now that I'm in New York. Now that I've finished my first week and settled into a routine I hope to do better!

New York has been absolutely wonderful. Every morning I wake up, have coffee on my aunt and uncle's terrace and look out at the city and the Hudson River. In other words, I wake up and feel like I'm living in a movie or romantic comedy which is my dream come true. I leave Brian and Jodey's apartment between 8 or 9 every day and walk

past street vendors

and taxis

and flower shops, and cafes, and Lincoln Center, and countless New Yorkers who flood the side walks. My commute ends at Columbus Circle, near the bottom left corner of Central Park.

I work at the Hearst Tower, and it's one of the coolest building's I've ever set foot in. The bottom half is an old building from when Hearst first started, and a tall, twisting, modern glass tower sits on top. The Good Housekeeping office is on the 28th floor, surrounded by windows, so we get to look out at the city while we work.

I love my job so far. I make copies and run errands like all interns, but I also get to do a lot of legitimate tasks. I've pitched books, mom blogs and kids health trends, and I even read an unpublished book manuscript. Unlike some magazines (whose interns I've met at lunch) GH's staff is incredibly kind and helpful. They go out of their way to answer questions and make us feel like part of the team.

I need to get back to researching mom blogs (let me know if you've seen any good ones), but I will try to share New York tidbits more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment