Tuesday, October 25, 2011

the most wonderful time of the year

No, not Christmas... pumpkin patch day! 

For as long as I can remember my favorite day of the year has been sometime in late October. The leaves start changing, the sweatshirts come out and my family heads to Burt's Pumpkin Patch in Ellijay.  We picnic, pick a pumpkin (...or a few), ride the hayride, hike up Amicalola Falls and eat dinner at the top. The tradition - in that order - is very set in stone, and Kate and I make sure everyone sticks to it.

Until this year...







This year, in the absence of Matt and Kate and in the presence of a half-marathon looming the next day, we decided to try Washington Farms near Athens. 

We still picnicked, picked pumpkins and realized once again that everyone else who goes to pumpkin patches is about five-years-old. But Washington Farms has a few other attractions too - a vortex, a hayride and pig races. (They also have a cow train and a trampoline, but we drew the age line there.)

I probably should have drawn the line at the vortex. Yes, you read that right, a vortex is a trailer with spinning light-up sides - and yes, I might have toppled down the stairs on my way out, skinned my knee, ripped my jeans and shed a few tears. But I'm a big girl, so after a bit of consoling from Jonathan we headed into the corn maze.

Despite a scraped knee to remind me how it feels to be five, I liked Washington Farms and loved the perfect fall weather - although it did make Jonathan and I a bit squinty ;) Next year though, I'd go back to Burt's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment